Monday, May 2, 2011

Eat Your Way to Happy

Hey hey everyone! 

I hope you all had a fan-tittily-tastic weekend! :) 

I don't have an exciting re-cap for you today, because my weekend pretty much looked like this... 


Don't feel too sorry for me though, there was another whole foods date thrown in there, and a nice little Sunday night outing to our (hopefully) soon-to-be new "hometown."  

While we were out in the burbs, we grabbed a bite to eat at Houlihans, and I was introduced to a life changing entree: 


Houlihan's Veggie Burger

This was, hands down, the best veggie burger I have ever had.  I enjoyed it sans bun with a baked patater on the side. Mmm mmm good.  I didn't miss the meat for one second!  

I will definitely be making regular visits to Mr. Houli if and when we make our move -- he will be a very close neighbor of ours and I know I'm going to be craving this little meal a lot! ;) 

As I was flipping through the latest Shape Magazine while I was burning my buns off this weekend, I came across this interesting article: 


This topic seemed destined for a "Monday happiness" post. 

Do you know you can eat your way to happiness? 

No, this does not mean devouring a mini chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake!!


Shame on me you!

Hey, I had to -- it even came with its own little SPORK.  A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do! ;) 

The gist of the article was all about the dreaded F word...

F.A.T. 

{What did you think I was going to say?? This is, at worst, a PG-13 rated show, kids!}

Contrary to what at least used to be popular belief, everyone needs a little F.A.T. in their lives. 

If you've been around the nutrition bend a time or 2, you are most likely aware that there is what is known as "bad fat" and what is known as "good fat." 


Bad Fat (aka "trans fat")


Good Fat

While I've always known that trans fat is the quickest way to a heart attack (it clogs your arteries), I did not know it can drag you down in the dumps mentally, too. 

Apparently, researchers recently discovered that people who consume trans fat, even in small amounts, are 48 percent more likely to suffer from depression.

Whhhaaatttt?!?! You mean a Big Mac and french fries will not solve all of my problems?!?! Say it ain't so!!

On the other hand, research showed that people who regularly consume "good fats" (unsaturated fat) from sources like olive oil, avocados, etc., are actually less likely to go to gloomsville. 

So, I guess that little scoop of my favorite peanut butter (Jiff Natural) that I put into my daily oats might be doing more for me than I even thought! 


While we are on the subject of peanut butter, I'm sure some of you might be cringing at the sight of 16 grams of fat per "serving." 

Before you give me the stank eye, I should point out that if you opt for reduced fat peanut butter as opposed to au naturale, you are doing so at the expense of adding in more sugar and unwanted "fillers." I, personally, think it's best to go for all-natural nut butters and just portion-control-it (opt for a small spoonful rather than 2 hefty tablespoons and you'll probably cut those numbers in half!).  

If you didn't add those avocados to your salad at lunch to day, or chow down on some almonds for an afternoon snack, don't worry, there are lots of other reasons to be happy today!!

Our world, today, became a safer place

And, even if you scream like a girl, rest assured it's not as bad as the noise coming out of this guy.

Lol!!

{I haven't quite mastered the art of embedding videos in the posts yet, but I'll get there!} 

On a more personal note...

Today, I had my LAST EVER law school final exam! Woo hooo! It was a doozie (they always are), but I'm thrilled it's over. 

We got some good news on the apartment front today.  More details (and hopefully pictures) to follow, so stay tuned! :) 

I'm off to cook some dinner (fresh fishies are on the menu) while Justin watches the Bulls, and then I'm gonna wrestle him for the remote so I can hang out with Bethenny!

Something to talk about: How do you get your healthy fats? Or, are you someone who tries to avoid F.A.T. all together? 

See you all tomorrow,

xoxo

Jess

2 comments:

  1. You HAVE to try Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut Butter. O.M.G. -- put it on a banana and you can eat it as a meal.... a delicious, a little sweet, a little savory, a little crunchy meal. DE-LISH. If you don't want to buy a tub of it, just try the single serve foil packs at Whole Foods. You won't be sad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds SOO GOOD! Kind of like Nutella?? I will definitely pick some up this weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete